Origins Birth Services
An ordinary day becomes extraordinary when we receive the call with an invitation to witness the miracle of new life.
Enjoy getting to know us and taking a look around our website! ~ Kaitlyn & Gina
Founders of Origins
Founders Gina Thomson, CPM, LM and Kaitlyn Wages, CPM, LM started Origins with a dream to provide a safe place for families to grow in a loving and supportive environment. In 2013 we joined forces after having served the D/FW birth community for many years. Our dream became reality when we purchased the first Origins location in Fort Worth in 2014. As Origins grew we were able to expand and move to a much larger location that is now Origins Birth and Wellness Collective - Fort Worth in 2015. In 2018 we opened our second location in Dallas, allowing us to serve more families and provide them with the Origins experience.
Over the years, it has been a blessing to be able to serve so many families - and we have achieved our mission to birth not only babies, but strong women, fathers, siblings, and grandparents. Being able to give women their bodily autonomy back, empower partners to take an active role with the pregnancy and birth of their children, and provide family centered care has impacted our lives, right along with yours! Our vision for Origins serving our D/FW community came to fruition and then proceeded to exceed all of our expectations. We look forward to what the future holds for Origins as the Lord continues to bless our mission!
Meet The Staff
JustineMy husband, William, and I have a beautiful daughter named Donni which was born at Origins Birth Center in 2018. My birth experience has allowed me to relate with other women and understand pregnancy and birth on a more personal level.
I was born and raised in the DFW metroplex, but obtained my bachelor’s degree in Sociology with minors in Biology and Chemistry from the University of San Diego in California in 2011. I had the intention of applying to medical school when I was approached about a midwifery internship at an area birth center. After I attended a few births I immediately knew that God had lead me on this path. I had the privileged of training under three experienced Midwives before I decided to follow Angela Friesen, CPM, LM to Origins Birth and Wellness Collective. At the end of 2015, I happily accepted the offer to become the first Origins student and complete her apprenticeship under the care of the three Origins midwives. Cross training with each Origins midwife and the length of my apprenticeship has allowed me to become a well-rounded midwife.
I believe in the human body, the power of informed choice, and the marriage of a holistic and medical approach to care. “You cannot treat the physical without regard for the emotional and physical. All three are intertwined and perfectly dependent on each other. Each woman deserves individualized care and to be treated as a whole”.
JulieI became interested in midwifery while pregnant with my fourth child. I had been cared for by an OB during my middle pregnancies who allowed choices in birth, like squatting, no IV, no continuous monitoring, and honored my need for a quiet and calm birth. For me, those births were empowering and I wanted to know more, so when I became pregnant with my fourth I started looking for alternatives to hospital birth. I read Ina May Gaskin’s Spiritual Midwifery and I was hooked. After this, I became a nurse for the sole purpose of becoming a midwife.
That road to becoming a midwife was long and full of new experiences. Working as an RN in labor and delivery gave me insight into what I love about birth and what the problematic points of hospital birth are. A crossroads in my life gave me the opportunity to finally go to midwifery school. I attended Frontier Nursing University and graduated in May 2018. All of my training occurred in the hospital; in Abilene with an amazingly strong and lone CNM, and in Galveston at UTMB with a diverse array of midwives in a challenging environment.
Being given this opportunity to work at Origins is a full circle dream. I am loving the support I have received and the holistic support I am witnessing being given to the women who choose Origins for their care. I am excited about the possibilities available here and the new relationships with patients that I am already experiencing. I am looking forward to getting to know all of you and your stories. I am committed to caring for women with compassion and competence.
I am married to the world’s kindest man, have four amazing children, two incredible daughters-in-law, and five brilliant grandchildren. I understand the importance of family and what that means to each of you and your choices about birth.
BriannaI have an incredible little (big) family of 7, with 5 little humans, so we are busy and happy bunch. A little bit about me: I am a 4th generation midwife, with established midwifery records dating back to the early 1900’s. How cool is that!?
In 1994, I witnessed my brother being born at home. It was magical, and completely amazing to witness at just seven years old. At that point, I thought being a Veterinarian would be the perfect and fun job for me. I quickly came to realize I actually just had a crazy deep love for dogs, and midwifery was my true calling. Since that realization, I have never considered anything else.
Growing up watching my mother empower and help these beautiful families grow just made sense, I knew it’s what was in my heart. To me, her leaving dinners or holidays always meant she was going somewhere special, it was never a disappointment for me. I began birth assisting with my mom in early 2006, still just a senior in high school. This lit something fierce within me that solidified that this is what I would be doing forever. Not long after graduating high school, I did some traveling and exploring and had my own babies in 2008 and 2011. I finished my nursing prerequisites and shortly after that, started midwifery school. I began in Fall 2011 and was officially a licensed midwife in the Fall of 2014.
PRECONCEPTIONPreconception visits are available for women planning on or trying to conceive. At this visit we will discuss lifestyle choices, nutrition, vitamin supplementation, exercise and optimizing your chances for conception. We can perform some of the pre-pregnancy lab work such as a pap smear, your Vitamin D and thyroid levels (if desired) and help you prepare for pregnancy issues such as morning sickness. The cost of this visit is $200.00 plus labs and if you conceive within one year of the appointment and begin care with us, we'll apply $100 of this to your midwifery fee. It's all part of our commitment to healthy mamas and healthy babies!
PRENATALAt Origins we believe in supporting women physically, emotionally and spiritually throughout her pregnancy. Your prenatal care is an opportunity for us to build a trusting relationship with each other, for us to educate you on the physiological process of pregnancy and birth, and for you educate us on your body, your baby, and your birth desires. All of these things work in harmony to create positive birth experiences. We laugh, we cry, and we grow together.
- 1st appointment – 28: weeks are monthly appointments
- 28 weeks – 36: weeks are bi-monthly appointments
- 36 weeks to birth of your baby: weekly appointments
- Medical/Pregnancy History
- Risk Assessment
- Nutritional, Herbal, and Homeopathic Counseling
- All lab work required by the state of Texas and any additional that are indicated
- Urinalysis at Each Prenatal Visit
- Blood Pressure Monitoring
- Assessment of Fetal Heart Tones and Position of Baby
- 24-Hour Access to Your Midwives
- Pregnancy/Childbirth Education
- Diagnostic Sonogram Referrals
- Breastfeeding Preparation
- Consulting Physician Referrals as Indicated
- Extensive Professional Referrals and Resources for All of Your Pregnancy Needs
LABOR/BIRTHAt Origins, we believe that birth is sacred. Whether you are birthing at our luxury birth center, or at home, we will enter your birthing environment calmly and quietly, joining you as you labor. Using our vast knowledge of positional and relaxation techniques, we will support you during one of the most intimate experiences of your life. Respectful and personalized care that reflects your beliefs and birth choices.
- Family involvement throughout the labor and birth process is welcome and encouraged
- Labor support and comfort techniques including positional guidance, massage, hydrotherapy, and use of essential oils
- Full clinical assessment of maternal and fetal health throughout the labor and birthing process
- Techniques for avoiding perineal lacerations by gently guiding you through your pushing stage and the use of warm compresses and water birth
- Perineal evaluation and if necessary, use of numbing agents and advanced suturing skills or other repair techniques
- Immediate and continuous skin-to-skin contact between mother and baby to promote bonding and encourage the initiation of breastfeeding
- Delayed cord clamping to assist with transition of baby as he/she begins to breathe on their own, as well as allowing the completion of blood volume to the newborn
- Therapeutic herbal bath for mother and newborn to aid in bonding and healing
- Comprehensive newborn examination
- Breastfeeding support
- All birth attendants are current with CPR and Neonatal Resuscitation certifications and have immediate access to resuscitation equipment including oxygen
- IV fluids and IV antibiotics available if indicated
- Access to anti-hemorrhage medications
- Erythromycin and Vitamin K injection available for the newborn, if indicated or requested
- VBAC (Vaginal Birth After Cesarean)
POSTPARTUMThere is nothing quite like holding your long-awaited newborn baby, studying their features, and falling in love with them as they are falling in love with you. Navigating this precious, yet often challenging season of your life can feel overwhelming at times. We are here to support, encourage, and guide you through this sacred time, not just as your midwives, but from our mother’s hearts to yours. By the time our journey comes to a close, we are woven together through the intimacy of birth, and the bond of motherhood.
- Follow-up care appointments: postpartum visit within the first 72 hours, and again at 2 weeks and 6 weeks postpartum
- Breastfeeding counseling and support
- Newborn physical exams and weight checks
- Metabolic newborn screening tests done at initial postpartum visit and again at the 2 week visit
- Continued assessments of the physiological and emotional well-being of the new mother
- Pap smears available at final postpartum visit, if needed
- Family dynamics/Sibling advice
- Family planning counseling
- Documentation of birth certificate and social security filed with the state
Take A Tour
Home & Birth Center Births
- Babies navigate the birth canal on their own – no pulling or tugging on their head and then waiting for natural rotation
- Their first touch should be from the hands of those who love them
- Their first sounds should be from the voices of those who love them
- Leaving the cord intact so baby can be sustained with oxygenated blood during the transition to breathing on their own
- Continuous skin-to-skin contact with mama
- Baby-led breastfeeding – babies left in peace to find mama’s nipple and latch on, finishing the rotations of birth and breastfeeding.
- Treat all babies gently, with dignity and respect
10345 Alta Vista Rd, Keller, TX 76244
Mon – Fri 9:00-5:00
Welcome to Origins Birth Services! We are committed to offering exceptional midwifery care to expecting mothers and their growing families. Our comprehensive care includes but is not limited to: monitoring of maternal and fetal health during the prenatal, labor/birth, and postpartum periods, lab work, nutritional counseling, education, childbirth preparation, lactation counseling, and newborn care. In our efforts to provide a holistic model of midwifery care; we tend to both the physiological and emotional aspects of pregnancy for the family. We are currently caring for clients in the D/FW area at our Fort Worth location. We would love to answer any questions you may have about our services or your current